September 1-September 30, 2020
Stay tuned on how
to Register for the
8th Annual Walk for
a Wonderful Life
The 8th Annual Virtual Walk for a Wonderful Life suicide prevention event is sponsored by the Suicide Task Force of Indiana County, an organization comprised of volunteers from Human Services Agencies. The Suicide Task Force (STF) has trained over 1,300 individuals in Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR), an evidence based training that includes school faculty, community members, fire departments, first responders, health and human services agencies along with many others. The 8th Annual Virtual Walk for a Wonderful Life is a month long fundraising event this year! Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic, this event has been altered to be a Virtual Walk. We know that we have individuals and families that find it comforting to be together, but unfortunately due to the Pandemic, the Suicide Task Force of Indiana County does not feel that this can be done safely. This event will begin on Tuesday, September 1st and will end on Wednesday, September 30th to celebrate Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. The mission of the 8th Annual Virtual Walk for a Wonderful Life is to spread awareness, and break the stigma of Mental Health, to bring families, and friends together to remember loved ones lost to suicide. This event assists in offering FREE Suicide Prevention training like Question, Persuade, Refer to Indiana County residents, groups, agencies, students, fire departments, and first responders.
How to be involved and FAQ’s:
• This event is for all ages!
• You can go at your own pace as you determine the location(s) where you choose to walk , run, bike, or even hike, the distance you want to walk, and the length of time you want to walk. For example you can choose to walk for 15 minutes everyday, or walk 1 mile during the month. That is the best part, it is all at your discretion!
• Track your progress by using a GPS, smartphone, or smartwatch.
• You can get others involved! Create a group and walk together!
• Share your progress on what you and your family and friends are doing with photos, and video clips on Facebook by tagging @indianasuicidetaskforce or on Instagram @icstf32. If you are having trouble, send to Brandy King at firstname.lastname@example.org with all the information you would like to be submitted.
• How to make a donation? Make a donation through EventBrite using a Credit or Debit Card or mail your check to Suicide Task Force of Indiana County C/O Suicide Task Force of Indiana County at 300 Indian Springs Road, Suite 203 Indiana, PA 15701.
• How can I contact the organizer?
Email Brandy King at email@example.com or by phone at 724-463-8200 ext. 2
• Refunds are unavailable.
Information on the STF:
The Suicide Task Force of Indiana County is comprised of a group of over 25 volunteer agencies and community members. The STF aims to prevent suicides in Indiana County, provide information, education and resources to Indiana County Residents, as well as networking with these Human Services Agencies to break the stigma of Mental Health and Suicide.
With funds from donations, grants, and fundraising, the Suicide Task Force has:
• Trained over 1,300 individuals in QPR.
• Held a successful Walk for a Wonderful Life for the past 7 years.
• Awarded over 20 individuals as being “Angel’s On Earth” for outstanding work in suicide prevention.
• Hosted 5 International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day events promoted by AFSP for Survivors of Suicide Loss to gather and view a video internationally regarding grieving, loss, and healing after a suicide.
• Attended speaking opportunities at all Indiana School District Schools, along with IUP, specifically the 6 O’clock Series, where we have a panel every year. The group has also presented at meetings with the Children’s Advisory Commission, Evergreen after School Clubs, Fire Departments, and Mental Health Symposiums.
• Trained 231 individuals from 70 different agencies in Mental Health and Youth Mental Health First Aid.
• AMSR training for clinicians.